Saturday, November 7, 2009

On Gender Interaction

Alrighty, I shall attempt to blog on the topic even though I didn't attend last week's lecture. I tend to engage a lot of hedge and epistemic modal forms to mediate my conversations. Like on tuesday, when I sent out a short email to the teachers at my church to tell them that I'll be planning lesson this weekend.

"hey all, i'm doing lesson on sat. i don't think i'll be planning a party. i'll just do a tiny recap and try make the lesson as lighthearted as possible. i'll be glad to hear suggestions though. i'm thinking of showing a video, that teaches them on using their christian values outside of the classroom. and maybe do a short discussion."

Above were the exact words that I used. I've also picked out and underlined the mitigating terms. I'm actually quite surprised at myself though- at the frequency I use them considering it's really not a lengthy email. Nonetheless, I do believe it's true that we shouldn't make broad sweeping assumptions about gendered language. It probably depends on the writer/speaker's own characteristics/traits too. I'm not an assertive person by nature (and ultra non confrontational), so I usually give plenty of room for alternative perspectives. I'd like to think it's not that I lack confidence, but because I'm gracious enough to allow other people to share the centrestage with me ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment